-
December 27th, 2003, 10:54 PM
#1
Inactive Member
when did canon stop making these cameras? was the 16mm version not popular? since the two were similar wouldn't it be profitable for canon to manufacture this camera today?
-
December 29th, 2003, 12:49 AM
#2
Inactive Member
The original Scoopic 16 is not the same camera that was made later. Although they shared many features the motor and lens was redesigned for more professional needs. The Scoopic M and MS was available with crystal sync and has macro. The lens coating was upgraded also.
They were very popular with television stations as a news reel camera, with documentary and industrial filmmakers but video was cheaper (not better)and wiped out the market for cameras like the Scoopic, CP and many others. It's funny that the Bolex has survived. Partly I would guess because of the spring drive and the fact that it was reflex. The Filmo, so long popular with broadcast was gone by the late 70's. It may have continued if they had made a reflex model...
who knows.
I really can't say much about the DS8. Never used one.
The Scoopic M/MS is still around as used/rebuilds and a great camera for video use. It can take a crystal and is not too loud. Although it is by no means a blimped camera. It will also take a 400ft mag. But you can not shoot super 16 with it. Otherwise it's a nice inexpensive and reliable camera to start with or to shoot MOS.
-
January 3rd, 2004, 12:51 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Thanks rollemfilm. I'm shooting my first roll of fomapan with a DS8. I understand that double super 8 never caught on with consumers but was wondering about the 16mm Scoopic.
I have a Canon 814e with almost the same features but I always get the feeling there's a "ghost in the machine". The DS8 reminds me of the Nizo 8mm I had years ago.
Thanks again for the interesting history.
-
January 5th, 2004, 11:00 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Just a couple clarifications:
The M and MS are two different models.
They have the same lens, but the M cannot take the 400 foot load. (I have an M, and I wish it could!).
I don't believe either of these were ever made crystal sync, so you're not going to find one that way, unless it's been modified.
The Film Group does the crystal upgrade for around $500.
Oh yeah, it's really loud!
Matt Pacini
-
January 6th, 2004, 12:00 AM
#5
Inactive Member
True, the M will not take the 400 ft mag.
There were original crystal sync Scoopics. It was
an option. But most of the cameras out there today are not sync cameras. And most likely the ones you will find will be Film Group modifications.
I never said they were a bliped camera, but they are not as loud as a Bolex or an Arri S. And with a barney, it's workable.
An 814E is louder than a Scoopic!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks